Summer is right around the corner and coming with it are triple digits on the thermometer. While this can make for fun days at the pool, it can be an expensive chore cooling your home. Check out the below tips to keep your house comfortable without breaking the bank.
- Consider Window coverings to keep the sun from heating your home during the day. If this is not an option, close your curtains or blinds during the day to gain the same effect.
- Be mindful of your thermostat. Setting it to be warmer than normal while you are away will help you avoid having to pay to cool your home while no one is home. A programmable thermostat will help you do this automatically.
- Take advantage of fans throughout the house, but always remember to turn them off when you leave a room.
- Maintain your cooling system by regularly replacing filters and having a qualified professional perform a check-up on your cooling system.
- Be mindful of the appliances you use during particularly hot days. Stoves, ovens, dish washers and even TVs can add heat to your home.
- Make sure that windows and doors are sealed properly.